Milorganite

Filed Under: Gardenality Questions · Keywords: Hip ears · 1405 Views
What is the grey material that looks like mold which appears on Milorganite following application?


Rate It 1


Comment about this question »

1 Answer

Answer #1 · Maple Tree's Answer · Hi Evelyn-This mold looking material is most likely a fungus growing on the surface of the soil where the Milorganite was applied. If you see any mold or fungus on your plant's leaves or leaves that may have fallen you want to look further as other types of fungus can be harmful to the plants and may need an application of a fungicide. What you are most likely seeing is the mycelium, vegetative part of the fungus, that absorbs nutrients in this case from the Milorganite for growth. Along with the nutrients this fungus needs moist humid conditions to thrive. Many this year have received a lot of rain providing cool humid conditions perfect for this fungus growth. This type of fungus is actually helpful in the garden as it helps to decompose the organic fertilizer making it useful for plant absorption. From what I have read this mold is considered harmless and does not require fungicide treatment. If need be it can usually be removed by brushing, or watering the affected areas to knock down the mold. In time as temperatures get warmer it will dry up and disappear. If you would like to upload a close up picture of this mold it may help to identify it. Above this and to the right of your name below your question you will see where you can upload any picture you have saved on your computer.

Please ask if you have any other questions.

John)



Comment about this answer »
Rate It 0

Post An Answer To This Question:



Can't find your answer? Click here to ask your question.

Read Tips On How To Give A Great Answer

Click here to learn how to give a great answer »


Updates

View All My Gardenaltiy Updates »